Sunday, January 08, 2006

Wonder why I am in that mood Today.. Talk to You next post isA..


Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend,
Before we too into the Dust descend;
Dust into Dust, and under Dust to lie,
Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Singer, and--sans End!


There was the Door to which I found no Key;
There was the Veil through which I might not see:
Some little talk awhile of ME and THEE
There was--and then no more of THEE and ME.


When You and I behind the Veil are past,
Oh, but the long, long while the World shall last,
Which of our Coming and Departure heeds
As the Sea's self should heed a pebble-cast.


Of threats of Hell and Hopes of Paradise!
One thing at least is certain--This Life flies;
One thing is certain and the rest is Lies;
The Flower that once has blown for ever dies.


The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.


With Earth's first Clay They did the Last Man knead,
And there of the Last Harvest sow'd the Seed:
And the first Morning of Creation wrote
What the Last Dawn of Reckoning shall read.



The Rubaiyat of Omar El Khayyam
Translated by Edward J. Fitzgerald

3 comments:

michelle said...

I always woundered who wrote that poem

Olivia said...

Blue, it's very strange - did you write this before you got the news about your cousin?

Apart from that, anything by Khayyam is beautiful to read even in English.

Just Jane said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My deepest sympathies go to you and your family during this difficult time.

A note

This page is closed, however I will continue blogging in English and Arabic on my new space: http://lastoadri.com/blog Thanks to change RS...